100 Years of Leadership, Orchard Continues its Nine Founding Mothers’ Journey
See some photos from the past after the article. One hundred years ago today, on December 12, 1922, the articles of incorporation were signed and accepted by The Orchard School’s Executive Committee, which was comprised of our nine founding mothers. This formal legal document established The Orchard School as a new business. After the nine mothers’ negotiations with the Indianapolis Public Schools to include Orchard as an experimental school within the public school system were unsuccessful, it was important that the Executive Committee take steps to insure that The Orchard School be an independent entity. The articles formally set up the Board of Trustees.
Over Orchard’s 100 years, the composition of the Board has changed, evolving from the nine mothers to include other parents and members of the Indianapolis community. After The Orchard School’s endowment was established in 1950, an additional Board of Governors was created to oversee the endowment and the long-term success of the school, while the Board of Trustees continued to focus on the ongoing operation of the school.
Since 2000, nearly 200 Orchard parents, past parents, alumni, and members of the greater Indianapolis community have served as a trustee or governor – and some dedicated individuals have even served as both, moving from trustee to governor over time. Today, both Boards work closely with Orchard’s Head of School Dr. Sherri Helvie, to ensure that the vision of the nine founding mothers endures into a second century by educating and developing the whole child.
Founders of The Orchard School
Mary Carey Appel
Elizabeth Driggs Bacon
Ruth McCulloch Bon
Evelyn Fortune Bartlett
Ruth Schuyler Cole
Edith Whitehill Clowes
Mary Parrott Failey
Emily Taggart Sinclair
Quote from “The Path Well Chosen (p.9):
“The Executive Committee moved toward incorporation of the school management and had articles of incorporation drawn up… These were signed and accepted on December, 12th 1922. They provided for 11 trustees (as moved by Miss Carey), Mrs. Sinclair moved that the Board be self-perpetuating.”