Fifth Grade Science Teacher
Status: Exempt (Salary)
Reports To: Middle School Director
The Orchard School
Founded in 1922, Orchard is an independent, non-sectarian, progressive school for students in preschool through the 8th grade. Orchard is committed to advancing each student’s academic success, self-confidence, open-mindedness, ethical character, leadership, and love of learning. Located in northern Indianapolis on a 43- acre, wooded campus with a state-of-the-art facility, Orchard promises academic excellence through a well-rounded education, engaging the natural curiosity of students in an active, child-centered, and experiential learning environment. We seek and strive to maintain a diverse and inclusive school community and are committed to the principles that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. We value the skills, knowledge, and experiences a diverse workforce brings to our school.
The Orchard School is seeking an innovative, dynamic, collaborative teacher with a strong background in Middle School Science who can enhance the current program.
The successful candidate will:
- Participate in creating curriculum
- Find balance with hands-on labs, field studies, lectures, etc.
- Use technology in creative ways to further curriculum
- Understand the developmental needs of middle school students
- Combine knowledge of Science with charisma, humor, energy and interest in connecting and inspiring middle school students
- Understand National Science Teacher Standards and best practices
- Be flexible and an excellent communicator/collaborator
Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education, science, or related field
- Experience working with middle school students
- Understanding of learning styles and differentiated instruction
- A commitment to progressive education
- Ability to design hands-on, experiential learning activities that advance the targeted learning outcomes
- Ability to work with technology to support, supplement and enhance teaching and learning
- Affinity and enthusiasm for working with adolescents
- Excellent communication skills
- Capacity to inspire others
- Demonstrated history of energy and dynamism in the classroom
- Willingness to learn and improve professionally
- Sound judgment and emotional maturity
- Ability to collaborate and work with a team
- Willingness to engage in all aspects of the Orchard community
The Orchard School values our employees and offers a total compensation package designed to attract and retain talented individuals who make our school successful. Benefits include:
- 11 paid personal days
- Health and dental insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer paid long- and short-term disability
- Other benefits
Candidates should apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please place “Science” in the email subject line.
Orchard values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. Orchard does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national origin in the administration of its admission, tuition assistance, or employment determination.
The Orchard School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States.
For more information about The Orchard School, please visit: www.orchard.org.