FT/PT: Full Time
Status: Exempt (Salaried)
Reports To: Early Childhood & Elementary School Director
The Orchard School
Founded in 1922, Orchard is an independent, non-sectarian, Progressive school for 500 students in preschool through the 8th grade. Orchard is committed to advancing each student’s academic success, self-confidence, open-mindedness, ethical character, leadership, and love of learning. Located in north Indianapolis on a 43-acre wooded campus with a state-of-the-art facility, Orchard promises academic excellence through a well-rounded education, engaging the natural curiosity of students in an active, child-centered, and experiential learning environment. We seek, and strive to maintain, a diverse and inclusive school community, and are committed to the principles that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. We value the skills, knowledge and experiences a diverse workforce brings to our school.
Orchard seeks educators who provide guidance through prioritizing teacher-student relationships. We believe this is possible when teachers are encouraged to truly know their students, care about them, and see them each as individuals. Orchard expects teachers to use a student-focused approach, model multiple strategies to learning, facilitate engaging hands-on projects and studies, and have a deep understanding of child development and learning differences. Orchard seeks to hire educators who possess a passion for equity and social justice, and who desire personal and professional growth in the field of education.
Our Early Childhood and Elementary Music Teacher is responsible for teaching Preschool through Third Grade Music classes.
Required Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Music Education, Music, or related field.
- A minimum of two years of early childhood and/or elementary classroom experience preferred
- Experience or training in the Orff Schulwerk Method
- Experience planning concerts and events for classes, grade levels and whole-school level-sized groups.
- An ability to critically look for and use music in the classroom that celebrates diversity and new perspectives.
- Monitor grade-level music and performing arts benchmarks and standards for Preschool through third grade students.
- A commitment to Orchard’s definition of progressive education
- An understanding of approaches to learning and differentiated instruction
- An ability to design hands-on, experiential learning activities that advance targeted learning outcomes
- A flexible approach to working on several grade teams and co-teaching partnerships
- An ability to collaborate and work across teaching teams
- Experience working with families as partners
- A demonstrated history of energy and enthusiasm in the classroom
- An ability to work with technology to support, supplement, and enhance teaching and learning
- Confidence and enthusiasm for working with young children
- An ability to inspire others
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to learn and improve professionally
- Sound judgment and emotional maturity
- Willingness to engage in all aspects of the Orchard community
The Orchard School values our employees and offers a total compensation package designed to attract and retain talented individuals who make our school successful. Benefits include:
- 11 paid personal days
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employer paid life insurance
- Employer paid long- and short-term disability
- Other benefits
Candidates should apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Please place “EC/ES Music” in the email subject line. Orchard values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds. Orchard does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national origin in the administration of its admission, tuition assistance, or employment determination.
The Orchard School is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools and is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States.
For more information about The Orchard School, please visit: www.orchard.org.